NARL License Classes
Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in taking a Technician, General, or Extra class in 2017.
NARL classes are usually between 16 and 24 hours of classroom instruction and conclude with a license exam. Curriculum will follow the ARRL license manual and will include live and animated audio and visual demonstrations of assorted radios, antennas, tools and principals of radio propagation.
There is NO fee to attend the class, but there is a $15 fee to take the FCC exam.
- Please obtain your own copy of the ARRL textbook for the correct license and read before the first class. Use the live instruction sessions to get help for topics you did not understand after reading the book. New books are available from the ARRL web store, from the HQ in Newington, at many hamfests and vendor etail sites, and from Amazon. Be aware that the question pools change every few years, so check the edition version of study materials.
- VEC fee for administering the FCC license exam on the last session is $15.
- Free class materials will include reference materials donated by the ARRL and other sponsors and vendors, a disk prepared by the instructors, and assorted printed reference aids.
- one year free membership in the NARL club to successful licensees.
- To register for the class, email to email@example.com
For a typical VE exam session, bring:
1. A legal photo ID (driver’s license, passport)
2. If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
a. non-photo ID/driver's license (some states still have them)
b. birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
c. social security card
d. library card
e. utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that
specifically names the person; or a postmarked envelope addressed
to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on
the Form 605.
3. Students/minors may bring any of the above items and/or a school ID,
minor's work permit, report card, or a legal guardian may present a
4. Social Security Number (SSN) or your FCC issued Federal
Registration Number (FRN); VEC’s are required by the FCC to submit
either your SSN or your FRN number with your license application
form. If you prefer not to give your SSN at the exam session, then
you may register your SSN with the FCC before exam day. Once you
have a FCC issued FRN, you may no longer use your SSN on the
application. For instructions on how to register your SSN with the
FCC and receive a FRN, visit the FCC's FAQ page and the
FCC's registration instructions page. Please note that some
exam teams will only accept a valid FRN on your application.
Check with your local exam team before exam day.
5. If applicable, bring either the original and a photocopy of your current
Amateur Radio license, or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any
Certificates of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may
hold from previous exam sessions. If your license has already been
issued by FCC, the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The
photocopy(s) will not be returned.
6. Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
7. A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free
of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during
the exam session and the phones' calculator function may not be used.
In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices
and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT