NARL Club 2018 General Meetings:
7:00 pm at the Newington Senior Center
120 Cedar Street, Newington
First Monday of every month except holidays
Board of Directors Meetings: as announced by President.
NARL Club Sanctioned Events for 2018:
- NARL INFO NET - Every Thursday, 7:30 PM on 145.450MHz, minus 600 offset, pl 127.3
- June 4 - NARL General Membership meeting - 7 pm Newington Sernior Center - final Field Day planning and a selected video short
- June 23-24 - Field Day at Mill Pond Park. Setup starts 10 am Saturday, operating starts 2 PM and continues for 24 hours.
Public Service Events, communications provided by NARL
The Newington Amateur Radio League (NARL) is a local non-profit organization that provides as a public service, free of charge, volunteers for communications. In the recent past, we have provided comms for charity walks and races, bike and motorcycle rides, outdoor events and parades.
Why ask for ham radio operators for your event?
- Some towns now require or recommend that event plans include ham radio for backup communications
- If the event venue has poor cell coverage (ham radios have more power and better antennas, don't rely on cell towers)
- If attendance will be so large that cell subscribers won't get dial tone (if thousands of spectators reach for their phones at the same time, the local cell towers will overload)
- If your event leaders will be too busy to answer their phones (hams are trained to "shadow" leaders and free them from the burden of working phones and walkie-talkies)
- If the event covers a large area (normal handi-talkies only work line-of-sight, while hams can use repeaters or skywaves.)
- If interoperability is necessary (ham radios are open transmissions that everyone can hear)
- You need volunteers who are trained to interface with Incident Commanders from all the major first responders
- Our services are absolutely free of charge, as required by law
- You are helping us by giving us an occasion to test our equipment and practice our skill and art
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org several months in advance of your event to allow for proper planning.
So far in 2018:
Know of an event of interest to hams? Email email@example.com and we'll post it here.
- Jan 1 - BEARS club held a 20-mile Fox Hunt for a hidden transmitter. The "fox" was hiding at Churchill Park in Newington, CT
- Jan 6 - New England Division President's Cabinet met in Springfield, MA. NARL President AB1GL attended.
- NARL EVENT: Jan. 8 - NARL Holiday and Pizza Party, installation of 2018 officers. Senior Center, Newington, CT. 7 pm. Food included Rose Anne Lawrence's baked ziti, George Lillenstein's made-on-the-spot root vegetable soup, a catered platter of Boar's Head deli roll-up wraps, sheet pizza from Yanni's, chips and dips.
- May 20 Sunday - Lucy Welles 5K at Mill Pond Park. Volunteers needed, contact Paul, KB1QQI