NARL Club 2017 General Meetings:
7:00 pm at the Newington Senior Center
120 Cedar Street, Newington
First Monday of every month except holidays
Board of Directors Meetings: as announced by President.
NARL Club Sanctioned Events for 2017:
- NARL INFO NET - Every Thursday, 7:30 PM on 145.450MHz, minus 600 offset, pl 127.3
- Dec. 4 - General Membership meeting, Newington Senior Center. Election of 2018 slate of officers. Guest speaker K1LYP will explain how to send, receive, deliver and manage NTS messages.
- Jan. 8 - NARL Holiday and Pizza Party, installation of 2018 officers. Senior Center, Newington, CT. 7 pm.
Public Service Events, communications provided by NARL
The Newington Amateur Radio League (NARL) is a local non-profit organization that provides as a public service, free of charge, volunteers for communications. In the recent past, we have provided comms for charity walks and races, bike and motorcycle rides, outdoor events and parades.
Why ask for ham radio operators for your event?
- Some towns now require or recommend that event plans include ham radio for backup communications
- If the event venue has poor cell coverage (ham radios have more power and better antennas, don't rely on cell towers)
- If attendance will be so large that cell subscribers won't get dial tone (if thousands of spectators reach for their phones at the same time, the local cell towers will overload)
- If your event leaders will be too busy to answer their phones (hams are trained to "shadow" leaders and free them from the burden of working phones and walkie-talkies)
- If the event covers a large area (normal handi-talkies only work line-of-sight, while hams can use repeaters or skywaves.)
- If interoperability is necessary (ham radios are open transmissions that everyone can hear)
- You need volunteers who are trained to interface with Incident Commanders from all the major first responders
- Our services are absolutely free of charge, as required by law
- You are helping us by giving us an occasion to test our equipment and practice our skill and art
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org several months in advance of your event to allow for proper planning.
Non-NARL but ham related:
Know of an event of interest to hams? Email email@example.com and we'll post it here.
- Sept 23 - Fire Academy in Windsor Locks. CERT Retraining day.
- October 7 - BSA Jamboree, Hebron. Ham volunteers needed, contact WA1SFH.
- October 14 - Hartford Marathon, comms by PVRA
- October 14 - ARES Simulated Emergency Test (SET)
- Oct. 22 - Nutmeg Hamfest and ARES convention, Meriden
- Nov. 4 - Airline Trail Ghost Run
- Nov 5,6 - MARS interoperability exercise on 60mtrs and DMR
- Nov. 23 - Manchester Road Race, Main Street, Manchester CT. Race starts 10 am rain or shine.